Saturday, December 26, 2009

Is there anything that can help an oil leak until I can get it repaired?

I have a 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis. It has a terrible oil leak. I do not know the specifics yet of where the oil is leaking from, but I am now having to put 4 - 5 quarts of oil in my car a week. I was advised to use 20w-50 because it coats the engine better, but I honestly don't think that's really making a difference. Is there anything I can do to slow the leak down until I have the money to get it repaired?Is there anything that can help an oil leak until I can get it repaired?
They make stuff you can pour in your engine to stop leaks - DO NOT USE IT! It will gum up in your engine, and the repair bills will be much worse than just fixing a leak.





Just make sure you keep a few extra quarts in your trunk and keep checking the oil levels - if it runs our you will throw a rod and then you'll have to buy a new engine.Is there anything that can help an oil leak until I can get it repaired?
You have a real problem, but it may not be very costly to repair. I'd take it to your service person and ask him to find the leak. If it's the plug or maybe the pan gasket, that's cheaper than buying that much oil every week. Often such leaks are very simple to fix. I hope yours is one of them!
hi 4 to 5 quarts is a lot of oil first thing i would do is degrease the engine and then have a look to see where the oil is coming from most of the time it will be coming from the oil sender or the oil filler cap seal is buggered a short term fix for the oil sender is remove it and put plumbers tape around the thread and put it back if the oil cap remove it and put a rag of some sort there then replace the cap . if not any of these you have a major problem i would guess at saying your oil rings are shot to pieces and the oil is burning away. hope this helps
is it leaking or just burning it?


4 to 5 quarts a week sounds like a loose drain plug or a bad filter sorry to say if i was you i would park it until i had the money to at least get it looked at
not really, it has to be fixed, any type of additive will only thicken the oil (you're already using 20-50w a thicker oil). It might just be something loose or the front engine seal may be blown. You can't tell until it goes up on the rack for a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment